Benefits of an Oil Massage for Your Baby
There are various benefits of an oil massage for a newborn baby. These are:
- It makes your baby feel secure and safe, reduces crying, regulates breathing and keeps him warm.
- It improves the blood circulation to the hands and legs.
- Massaging makes digestion and bowel movements easier. This is especially beneficial for colicky babies.
- A massage relaxes your baby and makes him less anxious.
- It regulates his sleeping pattern.
- In premature babies, massaging gives amazing results. It has shown to boost weight gain, stabilise the heart rate and increase brain activity.
Which Are the Best Oils for Your Baby’s Massage?
Although many types of oils are useful for your infant’s skin, season-specific oils keep him happy all day long.
Oils That Are Good for Your Baby in Summer
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil should be used in summer as it has a cooling effect, is light in texture and easily absorbs into the skin. Being anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, you can rest assured that coconut oil is great for your baby’s skin.
2. Sesame Oil
Sesame oil is light and keeps your baby comfortable. This is the best baby massage oil that helps your baby develop strong bones.
Oils That Are Good for Your Baby in Winter
1. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is very beneficial during the winter months. Note that mustard oil should be used in combination with other carrier oils. A carrier oil is used to dilute a concentrated essential oil so that it can be applied on the skin without the fear of side-effects. In North India, many people recommend heating the oil with garlic, fenugreek seeds, and carom seeds and then using the oil after it has cooled down.